As a public benefit nonprofit, our mission is to foster environmental stewardship, responsible recreation, and personal growth in more children by making impassioned, outdoor experiences equally available to all through scholarships for disadvantaged youth and the facilitation of positive wilderness experiences.
Since 1997, our program has introduced thousands of disadvantaged youth to the benefits of wilderness experience through our Adventure Based Programming. We specialize in National Parks backpacking trips, Yosemite day hikes, and outdoor youth summer camps, providing scholarships for disadvantaged youth and families in need.
Whether a participant on one of our youth summer camps, or a client on one of our fully-outfitted guided backpacking adventures, our mission is to increase one’s connection with the outside world through adventures that last a lifetime!
We use the natural environment and outdoor activities to teach participants the necessary skills and attitudes for living successful lives. Our model of Adventure Based Programming is engineered to foster self-esteem, self-worth, and self-confidence in young participants. Along with creating lasting memories, it is our goal that participants will finish their Lasting Adventure with a greater knowledge of themselves, the world, and the environment around them.
The objectives of the Lasting Adventures youth programs include:
- Increasing personal confidence through activities that provide physical and emotional challenges.
- Developing behaviors and character skills that include integrity, honesty, responsibility, respect, compassion, and self-discipline.
- Providing experiences in leadership and group problem-solving techniques.
- Developing backpacking skills, wilderness ethics, and environmental awareness to foster outdoor stewardship.
- Having fun and developing lasting relationships and great memories!
Leave No Trace
Lasting Adventure, Inc. also embraces and teaches all participants the seven principles of “Leave No Trace.” As stated by the Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics, “these principles are designed to help outdoor enthusiasts with their decisions about how to reduce their impacts when they hike, camp, picnic, snowshoe, run, bike, hunt, paddle, ride horses, fish, ski or climb.” Lasting Adventures, Inc. believes that by teaching and role modeling these principles to our participants, that each participant is then given the necessary knowledge and hands-on-experience to become stewards to our environment. Lasting Adventures, Inc. is a partner with the Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics.
The seven principles of Leave No Trace include:
- Leave No Trace
- Plan Ahead and Prepare
- Travel and Camp on Durable Surfaces
- Dispose of Waste Properly
- Leave What You Find
- Minimize Campfire Impacts
- Respect Wildlife
- Be Considerate of Other Visitors
For more information on Leave No Trace, please visit the Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics at: www.lnt.org